Friday, June 29, 2012

Day +3 of recovery

The mind of man plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps.  Proverbs 16:9

Good news - bad news...or...maybe I should have skipped that piece of pizza.

Yesterday, Thursday, I awoke and felt the best I have in a long while.  I even felt energetic enough to iron my Chemo Quilt.  Colleen and the girls arrived safely in the late afternoon.  However, their luggage did not.  They had flown Air Canada and the airline didn't really know where all their suitcases were at the moment, but their world-wide lost luggage system would find the missing pieces and restore them posthaste.  (interpretation:  hopefully the luggage is somewhere on the planet and you'll get it before everything inside becomes antiquated.)

Last night Colleen ordered Jets Pizza over the internet for delivery.  That sounded good to me so when it arrived I decided to try a piece.  This morning when I awoke my stomach and bowels were in rebellion.  I have not had the best of days.  When I saw the doctor this afternoon for my scheduled appointment, he explained that the chemo has probably made my stomach temporarily lactose intolerant which means that the pizza was a poor food choice for me.  So I got the bad news.  I have to stay around for the weekend to see if my stomach and bowels will behave.  I'm taking Imodium AD every six hours and Ativan for nausea every six hours for the next two and 1/2 days.  On Monday I am scheduled to meet with Dr. V at 1:00 to see how I am doing.  If well, then I can probably go home.  If not, then maybe reentry into the hospital to find out what is going on.

There is good news, however.  My numbers are really good.  WBC:  6.6 (right in the middle of the normal range);  Hemoglobin:  10.6 (still going up);  and Platelets:  78 (also still going up).  Praise the LORD!!

I'm going to have to remain patient and slowly acclimate my stomach to normal food again.  In the meantime, I'll eat cheerios, bananas, crackers,  anything bland that my tummy will tolerate.  One nurse told me the time frame for my stomach to accept my former dietary choices could be 3 months or more. I must be patient which is so-o-o-o-o not my personality.  God is leading and teaching me throughout this journey.  I must learn to follow and obey.  He has reasons for all He does even if I don't always understand.

I will close on a positive note.  Air Canada found all the luggage and is delivering it tonight.  (In fact, the 3 duffels have arrived as I "speak".)    Indeed, God has everything under control.

Next:  Days +4 & +5 of recovery


No comments:

Post a Comment