Saturday, June 23, 2012

Day +9

The mind of man plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps.  Proverbs 16:9

Same-o-same-o in the nausea department.  But I'm still able to take nourishment (cheerios & frozen Orange juice).  My throat is still a bit sore, nothing that I can't handle.  Dr. Ayash says at this point in time my throat shouldn't get any more sore.  The new development today involves my hair.  Yesterday,  deposits were made in the shower.  And my pillow case was getting furrier and furrier.  So I decided to be proactive and shave off my hair.  The nurse brought clippers with various attachments and, for the first time, I applied the cutting tools to my own head.  Greg assisted, especially in the final stage.  Now I really look like I've had chemo treatments.  The good news:  my hair will grow back.  God even provided for this development in His grand design.  In the meantime, I have a choice of how I want to appear depending upon the event I'm attending.  For around the house, I can choose the "sans" hair look.  For stepping out casually, I can wear a cut cap I have.  And for more formal activities, I have my cranial prosthesis which looks almost like my normal hair.  Fun to have choices!

My numbers for Day +9 are as follows:  WBC:  0.2 (starting to go up!);  Hemoglobin:  8.8 (no infusion needed yet);  and Platelets:  8 (received an infusion today because the number fell below 10).  I slept quite a bit today, but that is mostly a reaction to the low hemoglobin numbers according to my nurse friend, Mary.  Dr. Ayash said that so far everything happening is expected and according to the "text book".  Around Monday, my WBC should start kicking upward and I will begin to feel better as stem cells begin repairing the damage in my stomach alleviating the nausea.  Better times are coming, thank you, God!

Last evening while Greg and I were walking our laps, a Code Blue was called for the room kiddy corner across from the nurses's station from us.  We had to modify our route as there were people crowded into that room in addition to running into and out of it.  The patient had trouble breathing most of the day and the difficulty manifested into an emergency shortly after dinner time.  He was transferred to ICU where he remains today.  We did find out he is doing better today, praise the LORD.  Underlying health problems led to this difficulty and was not the result of his transplant procedure.

Tomorrow:  Day  +10



Being proactive with my hair



Around the house look


The casual look


For those more formal occasions





No comments:

Post a Comment