Friday, June 15, 2012

Day +1

The mind of man plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps.   Proverbs 16:9


Just completed my dinner.  Today has been marked by walking my suggested 16 laps which equates to 1 mile.  I've enjoyed several naps and worked on a knitting project.  In between, a little bit of TV viewing helped pass the time as well as talking on the phone with well-wishers and FaceTime with grandkids.

Side effects continue.  The thought of breakfast this A.M. caused my mind to send a message to my stomach resulting in a negative response.  However, since my brain is involved in the process, this is a "mind over matter" situation.   The remaining day's meals were eaten very slowly giving my stomach time to mull over what to do with the new contents and telling to my mind to leave the "stuff" in there.  So  far, this plan is working.

The "other end" is a different story.  Have made a few trips to the bathroom in "urgency" mode today.  The Nurse Practioner, Katherine, says this is an expected reaction to the preservative used and injected with the stem cells.  Will be a welcome relief when the preservative has completely exited my body.

My new counts were posted this morning.  I asked which are the main ones to monitor.  They are:
white blood cells (WBC), Hemoglobin, and Platelets.  Day 0 (Thursday) provided the baseline for the counts.  So the starting numbers are as follows:  WBC:  3.9; Hemoglobin:  11.0; and Platelets:  233.
Today's (Day +1) counts are:  WBC:  3.0;  Hemoglobin:  10.7; and Platelets:  206.  For the next several days, these counts ARE supposed to go down.  Along about days 6, 7, or 8 the counts should bottom out and then start to climb.  I'll be posting my numbers each day so you can track my downward trend (supposed to happen) and my upward trend (will happen, LORD willing).

Prior to Greg and me going for a few more laps before retiring for the night, I'd like to quote from an e-mail which we received from our good friend, Dr. Tim Mead, serving in Al Ain, UAE as a medical missionary.  He writes an excellent report to supporters, friends, and others weekly.  The portion I have chosen to quote applies directly to what I and others with cancer are experiencing.

"All people live life sometimes finding our expectations unmet and our plans changed.  We can easily become bitter and feel we deserve better.  Although trials are never fun at the time, I think back and realize that because of the tough times I am a different person.  Trials, big or small, will either build your character or send you into bitterness and despair.  Your attitude is critical. (emphasis is mine)  I need to constantly remind myself to start each day in thanks knowing I do not travel life alone.  I live and travel Life in His Grip..."


Next:  Day +2

1 comment:

  1. Louise--you are one of the strongest and most courageous people I know! The way you handle this current "trial" with such grace and trust in our Lord is an incredible example to me and to all who are witnessing it. Thank you. I love you! Love, Sarah

    ReplyDelete