Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Chemo !

The mind of man plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps.   Proverbs 16:9



Monday, Greg and I returned to the Barbara Ann Karmonos Cancer Center in Detroit.  I was scheduled for the insertion of a Picc line at 10:00 in the morning followed by an appointment with Dr. V at 1:00 in the afternoon.  Both events occurred, but not at the times listed.  One thing I have learned throughout this whole process is to have patience.  Activities do happen, but usually not at the times listed or planned.  Thank you, God. for teaching me to slow down and wait.  Everything does not need to happen "here and now".  I should enjoy each day You provide me and count my daily blessings.

Tuesday, we returned to Karmonos for my scheduled chemo infusion.  This appointment was "at the crack of dawn" - 7:00 a.m.  I think we arrived before the sun was awake to begin its day.  Not being a morning person, as is Greg, any time before 9:00 a.m. is too early for me.  We experienced another "1st" for us as we arrived and checked in.  We were directed from the lobby of the recently opened Dresner Family Center (our first "1st") to the brand new infusion center which opened its doors yesterday.  In fact, I was very possibly the first person to receive a chemo infusion in the new center.

The process began with an infusion of anti-nausea fluids.  While I was being hydrated, the pharmacy mixed up a small batch of my chemo drug, Melphalan.  After a couple hours, the drug was delivered to my room and attached to my infusion rig.  As Melphalan is light sensitive, a black shroud was hung over the pint bottle which was filled only 1/3 full of the chemo.  This was worth about $6,000.00.  The actual chemo infusion lasted about 1/2 hour with another 3 hours of hydration.  During the whole process I was encouraged to do one of my favorite past times:  eat ice chips.  Since the Melphalan attacks fast growing cells such as those of the hair and the mouth, ice chips stimulate the mouth cells to close up and prevent the absorption of the chemo.  At the time of this posting, I have experienced no nausea or vomiting and my appetite is intact.  In fact, I ate the lunch supplied by the hospital and survived.  Actually, the food was quite tasty, especially the chicken.

I have been supplied with three anti-nausea meds:  Zofran and Compazine (to be taken daily) and Ativan (to be taken as needed).  These are designed to keep my stomach happy as the Melphalan does its job of killing cancer cells and other fast reproducing cells.  In the meantime, I'm to return Wednesday morning to receive another 3 hours of hydration and then come back on Thursday to be admitted to the hospital for observation about the next 1 and 1/2 weeks.

Thursday, I'll begin daily postings to chronicle my progress and that of any side effects.  Until then, my journey continues with God's leading.



Saline - left.  Shrouded Melphalan - right.
Receiving my Chemo.



















                                                   
                                                                                                   





Here I am back at Colleen's after my chemo doing what I enjoy.













No comments:

Post a Comment