Thursday, June 21, 2012

Day +7

The mind of man plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps.  Proverbs 16:9

Nausea and I are still not getting along.  This is actually a mind game.  A recent article in USA TODAY documented a medical study which revealed that a particular drug used in the treatment of mental illness had a positive affect on chemo patients in reducing nausea.  The reason for this is that the queasiness resulting from chemo does not originate in the stomach, but in a portion of the brain which sends signals to the stomach instructing it to forcefully expel its contents.  The psychotic drug under investigation was designed to go to that portion of the brain to counteract some other psychological malfunctions and was discovered to also have a calming affect on nausea.  Unfortunately, this is America and, therefore, more years of investigation and trial studies will be necessary before this drug is released to the market at an exorbitant cost to insurance companies.  (The high cost being the result of  years of investigation and trial studies.)  In the meantime, I and my brain battle my stomach with the stomach winning many battles.  But I am determined, with God's help, to win the war!

Numbers for today are as expected according to my attending medical personnel:  WBC:  0.1;  Hemoglobin:  9.2;  and Platelets 52.  Tonight will be day #2 for the Neupogen.  Unfortunately, this shot cannot be given through my Picc line.  However, there are three sights which can be alternated for the injections:  stomach, arm, and thigh.  Last night was my arm.  Tonight I think I will choose my thigh.

A new, expected side effect has reared its head today and that is a sore throat.  The severity of this irritant varies with individuals.  Right now, my throat feels like a mild soreness.  Cool items such as water and ice cream sooth the irritation.

I am at a point in the stem cell process that can best be described as walking through a valley.  If any of you saw last week on ABC TV the stuntman, Nik Wallenda, walking across Niagara Falls on a tightrope, then you saw a manifestation of my journey.  As Mr. Wallenda walked the 1800 feet, he proceeded down the wire as it sagged due to the extreme length of the cable.  At the mid-point of his walk, he was moving along the "wet zone", that relatively, short section of the wire at its lowest point and soaked by the mist of the falls.  Past that he began ascending the cable to his destination and safety.  Well, I'm in that "wet zone", the valley of my journey.  For the next few days, I may experience additional side effects.  However, once through the valley, I will begin to climb up and out to health and restoration.   Just as Nik Wallenda kept his focus on the cable in front of him as well as his destination, I, too, am focusing on my end point of this current journey.  And just as Nik Wallenda did, I am praying every step of the way.  Nik said as he walked he had a peace about him which he attributed to his faith in Jesus.  I, also, am experiencing that peace as I continue my "walk".  Jesus said to his disciples as He left earth:  "Peace I leave with you;  my peace I give to you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."  John 14:27

Tomorrow:  Day  +8

1 comment:

  1. Louise--thought you'd like to know that the kids and I have begun praying for you before each meal. When we thank God for the food we are about to eat (with no side effects!) we pray for you and your "brain-stomach" battle. :) May each day get better and better.

    ReplyDelete