Monday, June 18, 2012

Day +4

The mind of man plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps.   Proverbs 16:9


My numbers continue to drop, as they should.  Today's numbers:  WBC:  0.6;  Hemoglobin:  9.4;  and Platelets:  135.  The WBC is in the expected low range.  On Wednesday, the Neupogen will be started to encourage the creation of white blood cells.  After that the WBC should start going up.  This upward trend will be carefully monitored and will determine how soon I am discharged.  The Hemoglobin is behaving well also.  If you remember, I blogged earlier that should the Hemoglobin number drop below 8, then I would receive a blood transfusion.  In addition I mentioned yesterday the numbers of Saturday were incorrect.  As a result of that, I had two blood draws yesterday, one at 6:30 a.m. and another at 1:05 p.m.  Since the a.m. numbers are the ones being recorded, I reported those.  However, the Hemoglobin number was 9.2 at 1:05 p.m., lower than the reported 6:30 a.m. number of 9.8.  Now, my Hemoglobin today was 9.4, an up-tick of .2.  This is good.  If this number holds above 8.0 - no blood transfusion.  The Platelets for today were 135.  As long as this number remains above 10.0, I won't need an infusion of those either.  My uniquely, God-designed body is responding well to the chemo.  Praise God!

My nausea still persists.  Just one incident per day, however.  A new treatment protocol was started today.  Before each meal, I will be given a dosage (1 pill) of Ativan to combat the queasy feeling.  Will let you know how this regimen works.  The medical staff again said not to worry, because this is a normal side-effect to the chemo, especially as my WBC count goes down so low.  They said I shouldn't be surprised if for the next few days I feel a bit yucky.  (Yup, that's an official medical term).

We brought our computers, iPhones, and iPad, plus books and DVD's to help pass the time.  But last night we had some unexpected entertainment.  An abandoned building a block west of us caught fire.  We had a ringside seat as we watched from our window seven Detroit Fire Department units put out the fire.  Nothing huge, but exciting to witness nevertheless.

Next post:   Day +5



Abandoned building catches fire a block west of Karmanos.





Ladder unit responds to the fire.




Detroit fire units successfully squelch the fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment