Friday, July 6, 2012

Days +9 & +10 of recovery

The mind of man plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps.  Proverbs 16:9

Saw my local oncologist, Dr. Alguire, today.  She said I looked good even though today has been one of those "1 step back" days.  The nausea was a bit more bothersome and diarrhea reared its ugly head again.  I still managed to eat some food.  I mentioned all this to Dr. Alguire.  She said this pattern is not unexpected.   She suggested the best thing to do is check my progress, not daily, since there would be a tendency to take 2 steps forward and 1 step back; but rather, do weekly comparisons.  I would notice weekly improvement despite some days seemingly being a retreat rather than an advance.  I'm going to take this advice and see how everything goes.

Blood tests showed my numbers continue to improve.  I just wish I felt as good as I appear on paper.

People continue to supply meals for us.  Today Arnie and Linda brought chicken noodle soup which has been agreeing with my stomach.  Scott and Lisa and the grandkids came over to swim.  Pizza was ordered, but I have learned my lesson and I abstained.  However, the bread sticks really looked good and I was tempted to try a small piece with just a hint of sauce.  My conscience, Greg, reminded me that I would be paying for such an indiscretion for the next several days.  I took his advice, too.

Pastor Andy and his wife, Donna, came for a short visit this afternoon.  We chatted a while and before they left we had prayer together.  I have grown to appreciate the power of prayer and the number of people who I know are praying for me.  I realize I am not alone as I continue on my journey of recovery.  Not only am I accompanied by all those praying for me, I am also accompanied by God.  With prayers to encourage and sustain me and God to lead and comfort me, I truly feel blessed.

Next:  Recovery Days +11 & +12  


No comments:

Post a Comment